Drobo

Copying bypassing PC

Hi, I have just bought a Drobo FS to replace my old WD NAS and everything looks good to start.

Firstly, I am a novice to all this and, although good with computers, I am nowhere near a computer whizzkid.

I have about 1.5tb of movies on an external hard drive attached to the WD machine and I want to copy these to my Drobo.

I wanted to know if there was an easy way to do this, bypassing my PC? The WD is gigabit, the Drobo is and I have a gigabit switch but my PC is only fast Ethernet and I am assuming this will slow the transfer down considerably.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

You are right in assuming that 100mbit ethernet will slow your transfer down. Now, you should not expect anything upwards of 35-40 MB/sec when talking to the drobo, however fast ethernet peaks at about 10 MB/sec.

I don’t know the WD NAS at all - does it have an FTP service? If so, you may be able to use FXP, see this thread: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2284

I would advice you to get a gb network card for your PC though, they are cheap these days, and having only 100mbit will be painfull when using the drobo later.

Anyways, you will be able to transfer your 1,5 TB of data in about 48 hours, if you just start it now and let it run. You’ll spend more time researching this, so just bite the bullet and start copying :slight_smile:

Tusse.