If the lights are steadily blinking Green/Yellow, i.e. the unit is not rebooting during this process then the data protection is working. Read Only mode will not resolve since in data protection data are being written to different drives. The Data Protection is a longer process on the legacy products.
If the drive bay lights are flashing Green/Yellow, the Drobo is in Data Protection. This is a perfectly normal process.
Drobo can go into Data Protection for the following reasons:
- Drive encounters errors, bad blocks or timeouts
- Drive was added or removed
- Dual Disk Redundancy was enabled or disabled
How Long will Data Protection run:
- This depends on the amount of data on Drobo, Data Protection processes at the rate of ~24hrs per Terabyte.
- Data Protection can run for a few hours or a few days (Legacy or older products may run for a week or longer)
During the Data Protection Process:
- Drobo must remain powered On
- The data is accessible, you may continue to use Drobo
- You may turn off or disconnect Drobo from the computer . As long as Drobo remains powered on, the Data Protection will continue to run.
- The Drobo Dashboard will provide you with estimated time for completion (for older products it is not unusual for Drobo to lose contact with the Dashboard)
- As long as the lights are steadily blinking Green/Yellow and the unit is not restarting or rebooting, everything is working normally
During Data Protection, do not:
- Power off Drobo
- Do not add or remove another drive
For additional information on Data Protection, see youtube video:
Data Protection - Lights Blinking Green/Amber