Drobo

Can you lend a "dummy" a hand? Noob here.

I’ve been trying to avoid posting here as most of you are well beyond my stage of implementation and I don’t want to be a pita. Unfortunately I’ve not found enough consistent advice for my specific question(s). I’d appreciate anyone taking the time to explain to a “dummy” just how to get started with my Drobo.

Here is what I have;

iMac wired directly to an Airport Extreme BS (4 users)
2 Powerbooks connected wirelessly to AEBS
2 Airport Express communicating with AEBS
Western Digital external drive storing all my music as well as backup of iMac
Misc external drives holding jpegs
Drobo with 4 drives (2TB each)

Here are my hopes;
Perform regular automatic backups of my iMac and Powerbooks to Drobo
Keep all photos, movies and music on WD drive to stream from but backup to Drobo
Keep my hair doing so

So who’s got the time to direct me to easy to follow advice or willing to provide it themselves?

Is your iMac on 24/7?

I have a similar setup but without the Apple Extreme. I have a Drobo connected via FW800 directly to my Mac as well as an external WD Essentials 2TB connected via USB. I store all my media on the external WD drive and use Time Machine to backup both my internal hard drive and the external WD drive to the Drobo. Works perfectly. However, if you plan on attaching the drives to the Apple Extreme then i can’t comment on how that would work as i don’t have that setup to try.

Yes it’s on 24/7.

You say “Powerbooks”. Do you mean that, or do you really mean “MacBooks”?

Are you running Leopard or later on everything?

No I mean PowerBooks. My wife and I each have one. I’ll retire the oldest one soon and get a new one. The newer one is running 10.5.8. The oldest one won’t run Leopard. So actually in a month I’ll have a MacBook and a PowerBook.

OK. When you get the new machine then you can use Time Machine on all your Macs to do the system backups. If you look at this thread: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1877 or look up a utility called TimeTamer on the forum here then you can set up one sparsebundle per Mac on the Drobo. That will limit the size of the the backups for you.

There are several sync solutions that can keep your WD drive backed up incrementally to the Drobo. I use a script and some Unix command line stuff, which is probably not where you want to be. Maybe someone else can chime in with a nice GUI tool?

Personally I use Personal Backup from Intego.

Unfortunately you have to buy it as part of a package BUT the cheapest licence DOES allow you to run it on two machines.

It is a VERY flexible product, can do backups AND Sync’s all with a very flexible scheduling capability.

Personally I have an iMac with a drobo attached via Firewire AND a Synology NAS and have scheduled alternate backups to the drobo and the NAS.

I also have the droboshare but its performance was so appalling slow I removed this from my network and directly connected to my iMac instead!

Thoroughly recommend Personal Backup and you can download a free trial.

All the best.

Robin

…which is exactly what I did too!

Its a real shame.

I LOVE the concept of the droboshare.

Surely it is not beyond their capabilities to produce one that actually works? :slight_smile:

Robin

[quote=“Robster, post:10, topic:2333”]
Surely it is not beyond their capabilities to produce one that actually works? [/quote]

They clearly don’t want to. They could put the filesharing guts of a Drobo FS (which is a decent product, not perfect but not bad) in a box with USB or Firewire or SATA ports, call it DroboShare II and make us all happy, but they won’t. I’ve asked. Several times.

The FS as it stands is NOT a DrobShare replacement. It’s too expensive because you have to dump your existing Drobo/Drobo S. It also won’t take the disk pack from a Drobo, you have to get new disks and copy all your data across onto it. There’s a gaping hole in the product lineup which they just don’t care about. Sad really…

I don’t have one (though the idea has brewed in my mind off and on), but other users here have had good experience using the PogoPlug to share Drobo.

The downside is that you can’t manage the Drobo via Drobo Dashboard, so firmware updates will need to be done direct-connected to a computer.

I had a Pogoplug for a short while. Performance was terrible with the Pogoplug drive application on the Mac, and there’s no way without “hacking” it to directly attach via AFP or Samba (Windows File Share). I went through Pogoplug support for ages and they ended up telling me to buy something else! [They have other products now (more expensive) that may offer that feature.]

I actually returned the Pogoplug and bought a Seagate Dockstar for $29 which is “powered by Pogoplug” but DOES have Samba as well. I tested it with a regular USB hard drive and it’s not too bad in performance, but I had enough issues with it and an HFS+ filesystem that I daren’t connect my Drobo. It seems to work best with Windows filesystems.

I may go play with it again when I get some time.

Ahh, here was the thread
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=252&page=7

i still never fully understood what is a pogoplug and what is fancily-named as an “airport extreme2”
thank goodness for google :slight_smile:

I love to use old laptops as home servers. They’re small, quiet, consume less power than a desktop, and can run a full OS which I already know how to use.
gstuartw, could one of those old PowerBooks run a modern enough version of MacOS to share out drives on your network? You might wish to directly connect your Drobo to that and let the two of them hum to each other in some corner of your home.

If the PowerBook suspends when you close the screen, the InsomniaX extension might help.

(just dont put them on a blanket or soft /bed surface or you’ll burn the house down

For a while I temporarily used my laptop to serve my Drobo.

If it doesn’t have GigE, get a CardBus or ExpressCard (whichever is appropriate) GigE adapter.
If it doesn’t have USB2, then… :frowning:

Also note that non-server versions of Windows (ie, XP, Vista, 7, anything that doesn’t explicitly say “server” in the name) have a limit of 10 incoming connections. This has nothing to do with the TCP connection limit you’ll find in Google - it’s a hard limit Microsoft puts on its non-server line.

Linux doesn’t have such a limit AFAIK.