First, let me say, that I really like the simple and “Apple-like” product that the DroboPro is.
And I was the one to pitch it here at our company, as I really like the promise of the product.
Second, I’m not a big on complaints and I consider myself a pretty patient man
OK, so here is the problem:
I have bought 4 DroboPro’s so far and I’m supposed to order 4 more in the near future. We are looking at maybe 10 DroboPro’s for our company within the next 6 months.
But I’m considering my options now, as 2 of the 4, we have already bought, are not working.
Anyone else experiencing this kind of failure rate?
1) The first one suddenly wouldn’t turn on. The power lamp didn’t even light up. I moved it around to different power outlets but no go.
Then suddenly after a couple of days, it magically turned on.
I put it in the server room again, but after a week it dies again.
It must be a faulty power supply and I have send it back to my dealer.
2) The second one suddenly disappeared from the server (Finder, no volume mounted). This happened over night.
It had 8 x 2TB drives and lot’s of research data on it (the data is being backed up to another 16TB DroboPro every night).
I tried rebooting it many, many times (I actually used 4 hours in the cold server room, not a fun day )
It only completed the reboots, like, half of the times. The other half it just lit up all the lights (not doing anything) or it stopped when lighting all the blue lights (7 or 8 out of 10 got lid).
Somehow it finally mounted but told me no volumes where present.
I had to reboot the server to get to this point (this is not so fortunate when the Drobo’s are part of a production environment).
DashBoard said it had 14TB unallocated space and 15XB free (I don’t even know what “XB” is).
At this point I figured I’d try a reset (as I had a backup). Resetting from the DashBoard didn’t work, the Drobo never restarted and the app hang.
To make a long story short… After a lof of restarts and resets and an upgrade to latest firmware 1.1.3 and DashBoard 1.6.0 (1.6.1 wasn’t out yet at that point), the Drobo finally mounted (and was found by the DashBoard) again.
I can now create a 16TB Volume, but if I try to rename the Drobo, after it restarts (which it doesn’t in the first try), the Volumes are “reset” back to the no volumes and XB mess.
It’s now caught in this “loop”
3) To make it even more interesting, I now have a third DroboPro here in my office and I upgraded it to firmware 1.1.3 and installed DashBoard 1.6.1 on my test laptop.
I had to reboot the laptop (shouldn’t be necessary imo.) and it took several tries before the DashBoard recognized the Drobo.
It now sees the Drobo just fine but I can’t rename the volume. DashBoard tells me it’s unable to rename (with all the Drobo’s we have and are going to have, we need to give them proper names, both the units and volumes).
This product is intended for small businesses and I expect it to work in an environment like ours.
I must say that our Apple RAID’s and Promise RAID’s, thus far, are working much better and stable than the Drobo’s (I know that they are a in a totally different class both feature and prise wise).
But in the end, I think that a small business targeted product should not behave as we have experienced so far with 2 (3) out of 4 units.
PS. We are using Mac OS X 10.5.7 Server running on an Intel Quad XServe.
We are using iSCSI but during all my troubleshooting I have been using the supplied USB cable (as iSCSI has an even lower success rate than USB/FireWire when rebooting etc.).
We are in the process of contacting Drobo Support also, explaining all this, and I hope they can help us. We just need a stable product for our IT environment, that’s all.