Drobo

Auto turn on after power outage

I have my drobos on ups’s but powoer could go out longer than the ups batteris say over 1.5 - 2 hourus…
when the power comes back on the drobo does not auto start and thus my volumes are not mounted… The computers are left alone in the summer as we are at a different house and one is my plex media server with the volume on the drobo…

This is a problem… is there any config jumpers or softwre to have it auto turn on without having to physically flip the switch after a power outage… thanks…

The simple answer is: no.

I note you have a UPS connected already, so perhaps look into purchasing additional batteries for your current UPS or an uprated UPS that gives you further protection.

The complicated answer is you could make up a circuit to do it, if you were prepared to make adaptations after opening the Drobo, you’d require a circuit that, when the power came back on pulsed a relay to the closed position, & you’d have to arrange said circuit to replace the power “switch” on the back… non-trivial… It’s a feature Drobos don’t have, unlike the BIOS/EFI settings on a typical PC, asking for a dashboard option to do this might be appropriate for the “Feature requests” section, which I strongly suspect Data Robotics completely ignore, it’s something I’d like myself, though not enough to bother posting there.

good idea thanks. i already have the house automated with smartthings and use a similiar relay to close the dog gate… will have to look for a l ow pwer 3-5v one to use. I will expermient on the older drobo 4 switch i have first…
will keep you update… I assume the battery wont go dead if the thing is basically never used .

There have been other users who have asked this question previously, so if you could document your relay ‘add-on’ and share it here, I’m sure it would be of benefit to the wider Drobo user community.