I’m new to the forums, if only because I’ve been a happy Drobo user for the last 18 months. But over the last few days something strange has happened, and I’m looking for help from some of the experts here.
My setup is as follows:
- Drobo 2nd gen (4 slots, USB + FW)
- Firmware Version: 1.3.7
- Dashboard Version: 1.7.3
- My Platform: Mac OS 10.6.6
- Connection: FireWire 800
- Disk pack (until a few days ago): 2x WD20EARS-00MVWB0 + 2x Seagate ST3500630AS-3.AKK
- File System: HFS+
This Drobo had been working OK for the last 18 months (the original disk pack had 2x Maxtor6V300F0 that were replaced by the 2x WD20EARS-00MVWB0 about 3 months ago).
A few days ago, and within a 24h window my Drobo reported:
- Bad drive on one of the WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (blinking red): I pulled it out, following recommended procedure
- Idem for the second WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (blinking red): now Drobo dashboard obviously indicated “Data at risk” and “Critically low on capacity”;
- I also pulled it out and replaced it by a spare WDCWD10EAVS-00D7B0- which was as well reported as “bad” within a few minutes after starting re-layout.
These 3 WD drives work OK in other external enclosures (non-RAID, non-Drobo), and I’ve tested them extensively (SMART, disk tests, etc.) with HardDisk Sentinel Pro. They’re reported as 100% healthy, no errors.
I’ve opened a ticket with Technical Support but so far it hasn’t been very helpful (first recommendation I was given is to RMA the 3 drives, now they’re asking me about the Drobo power supply brick???).
I’ve searched extensively the forums and I’ve read about potential issues (or not:-) with the WD Green Caviar drives in Drobo (or in RAID configurations to be more precise), and about Drobo detecting in advance disk failures beyond what regular SMART does, but I can’t find a way out.
It seems highly unlikely to me that these 3 drives can fail within a 24h window (and I’m afraid I can’t buy either the “bad batch” possibility suggested by DRI technical support, since they’re purchased separately, with several months in between orders, which IMO reduces to nil the probability of such event).
Anyway, I’ll appreciate any help you can provide. I can share the diagnostic logs (decrypted) generated by Drobo dashboard after each alert -as I already did to DRI technical support-