Drobo

All drive lights solid orange and all capacity lights lit

My DroboPro has all its lights on:

• Activity light on
  • Power light on
  • All blue capacity lights on (it was 80% full)
  • All eight drive lights solid orange (i only have six drives installed)

The drive is not being seen by Drobo Dashboard or the OS (Windows 7 RTM). The power rocker switch on the back does nothing (not even if I hold it down for 10 seconds). Unplugging the power and plugging it back in just brings it back to the same state (all lights on).

Any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Unplug the data cable (usb/fw/iscsi).
Unplug the power.
Unseat all your drives.
Plug the data cable back in.
Plug the power back in.
Do the lights stay yellow?

If not, then turn off from dashboard.
Reseat drives and turn power back on.

Hi Jennifer, that didn’t work. Powered down, removed all drives, powered back up. All the lights are still on.

Dan

In addition, unplugging the data cable before powering down in generally a bad idea, if there is an possibility of a write operation going on.

@cylon, then I recommend opening a support case. Sounds like there is an issue with the DroboPro.

@suite b, it’s always data cable first then power when unplugging or plugging in.

@Jennifer, excuse my ignorance but how do I log a fault? I have purchased and registered four drobos (Two 2nd Gen and two Pros) and can’t see anything in my emails indicating what my username or password are so that I can login to the Support section of your website.

You should amend your instructions to include unmounting the drive or putting it into standby via the Dashboard before removing the cable.

[/quote]
You should amend your instructions to include unmounting the drive or putting it into standby via the Dashboard before removing the cable.
[/quote]

In this particular case there was no point instructing me to unmount the drive or put the DroboPro in standby as neither were possible.

You go here to open a web support case:
http://www.drobo.com/support/request_support.php

No username or password needed.

Or you can call, if in the US or Canada it’s 866-426-4280 6am to 6pm PST

@cylon and @goodcow, that is correct, no need to advised to unmount or standby since those options are not available when the drobo isn’t mounting or being seen by the dashboard.

Jennifer, I am completely astounded by this advice, as it goes against everything that I have heard over the last 18 months!?! I don’t mean to shoot the messenger, but please cite chapter and verse of where you heard this, and from whom, as I frankly believe that you have been misinformed.

My understanding is that the Drobo has a built-in battery that is supposed to be sufficient to make sure that any pending write operations complete in the event of a sudden power loss.

However, if there happened to be a data transfer operation going on at the time that you suddenly jerked the data cable, there is a very good chance that a corrupted sector will result, or even worse, a corrupted directory.

Obviously, the best course is to shut down things gracefully, but without a graceful shutdown switch on the Drobo (V1, V2, or DroboPro), unlike competing units, we are dependent upon the Drobo Dashboard, and sometimes it doesn’t work, or isn’t available.

So my practice in this case has always been to pull the power cord first.

If this is an incorrect procedure, I would certainly like to have confirmation directly from one of the senior DRI engineers as to the exact reasoning behind the alternate strategy.

http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/251/kw/proper%20shut%20down/r_id/100004

How do I safely shut down my DroboPro?

We at Data Robotics can’t emphasize strongly enough how important it is to shut down DroboPro safely. If any of your applications are in the midst of accessing or writing data (including DroboPro’s own data-management tasks), and DroboPro is abruptly or unexpectedly halted, your critical data is at risk. Unsafe DroboPro shutdowns may cause file corruption and/or data loss. Although DroboPro does have built-in protection for the occasional power outage, standard operations should include safe data handling.

In addition:

–if you are not going to be using your DroboPro for an extended period
–if you want to move DroboPro to another computer
–if you are going to remove the entire disk pack
–if you are going to apply any operating-system updates…
… then it is a good idea to shut down DroboPro first.

To safely shut down DroboPro using Drobo Dashboard:

1. Make sure no applications on your computer are using DroboPro. If applications are using your DroboPro, they may prevent it from properly disconnecting.

2. On Drobo Dashboard, select “Advanced Controls,” then select the “Tools” tab, and finally press the “Shutdown” button.
    The power light briefly turns amber, and then all lights go out.

3. When DroboPro’s power light is off, it is safe to disconnect the data cable or unplug the power cord, if needed. (It is not necessary to unplug the power cord to finish the shut-down process.)

To shut down DroboPro without Drobo Dashboard:

Although Drobo Dashboard is always the preferred interface, if you are unable to access Drobo Dashboard, you can manually shut down by:

1. Make sure no applications on your computer are using DroboPro. If applications are using your DroboPro, they may prevent it from properly disconnecting.

2. For PC’s: Select DroboPro (“Trusted Mass”) from the “Safely Remove Hardware” menu on the PC. Then click “Stop.”
    For Mac’s: Unmount (or eject) the DroboPro drive.

3. Disconnect the data cable.

4. Flip the power toggle on the back of DroboPro.