I have my iTunes library on a Drobo FS, but adding music to iTunes is very slow. Why is that? Disk activity on the Drobo is furious while adding the files to iTunes. In top I can see that /sbin/afpd -F /mnt/DroboFS/System/netatalk/conf/afpd.conf -P /mnt/DroboFS/System/netata
is working hard.
A normal copy of the same files to the Drobo is much faster.
Hmm. The issue pops up from time to time. iTunes starts some ferocious disk activity on the Drobo, and the datatransfer between the Mac and the Drobo drops to a few kB/s.
Another issue that pops up is that when I change ID3 information from within iTunes I can’t be sure the information ‘sticks’. Sometimes a change is lost on one track of of an album. I become aware of it when I restart iTunes, then I can see a track with a tag that was not change with the other files. This have only ever happened with the Drobo. Very odd.
…all while the Drobo’s disk activity is max’d out for some reason.
In the first phase of adding the files – while iTunes has an pop-up box saying ‘Processing…’ – the network activity is under 1 MB/s up and down. This goes on for a long time, then finishes (the ‘Processing’ pop-up closes), and iTunes’s main window now reads ‘Copying tracks…’ and that is quite fast, but not as fast as a copy from the Finder.
I’m having the exact same issue with my Drobo Pro FS, MB Pro 17" Quad Core 3.06, 8GB RAM. 10.6.6 and iTunes 10.2. Very frustrating. It comes and goes for me too. Was having issues with this all yesterday. Today its a mix. Either super fast or over 5 minutes for the “Adding Files” process per album. Most of the time it’s slow.
I’ve tried connecting the drobo directly to the computer, but that doesn’t help.
No other devices are accessing the drobo when I’m adding music to iTunes.
I completely rebuilt the 230GB library which didn’t help
No errors in Console