Drobo

A Couple Questions...

I have a Drobo S 2nd Generation. I bought this in April of last year, but then ended up not using it at that time. I had planned to take 2 TB drives out of another unit, and put them in the Drobo. That did not happen for a few reasons.

Anyway, it had been sitting here just collecting dust. I decided to at least put it to some use. It had 1 3 TB drive, and that’s all. Today, I inserted 4 1 TB drives. The drive lights are flashing yellow/green, but it is not detected at all by the Drobo software. Also, I cannot update the fimware because of this same fact. It seems the tool option is not available unless a device is detected. Is it normal for the device to not be detected at this stage? I figured it would be detected, and would just have only the 3 TB file size.

On one other unrelated note… I plan on giving this Drobo to someone that uses Windows XP 32-bit. I use Windows 7 64-bit (and have been using 64-bit since XP x64 first came out). I know I would not have any trouble using the full capacity, but will it be available on a 32-bit system? Just checking.

Thank you in advance.

It is strange that it is not detected, but if the lights are flashing yellow green then it is always best to be very patient - it may take up to 48 hours

do not turn the drobo off or interrupt it

you can shutdown the computer it is attached to - this will not affect the drobo doing its rebuild

Ass far as giving it to someone with XP - the issue isnt to do with 32/64 bit - its to do with the fact that if you have formatted any volumes rather than 2TB then they are using the GPT volumes rather than MBR, and XP cannot see GPT volumes. So as long as the volumes are smaller than 2Tb then Xp will be able to see them[hr]
It is strange that it is not detected, but if the lights are flashing yellow green then it is always best to be very patient - it may take up to 48 hours

do not turn the drobo off or interrupt it

you can shutdown the computer it is attached to - this will not affect the drobo doing its rebuild

Ass far as giving it to someone with XP - the issue isnt to do with 32/64 bit - its to do with the fact that if you have formatted any volumes rather than 2TB then they are using the GPT volumes rather than MBR, and XP cannot see GPT volumes. So as long as the volumes are smaller than 2Tb then Xp will be able to see them

Thank you for the speedy reply. Do you have any thoughts on what I can do to get it recognized in the software? The volume is larger than 3 TB, but it does not contain any data I need. So, I can just delete it, and recreate appropriately, but I cannot do this without having access to the software, I believe.

if you are happy to wipe it then you can do a factory reset using the pin hole on the back :

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32/kw/reset/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyNjA5MjQzNy9zaWQvbS1uQ2hITms%3D

that will completely wipe it - and also power cycling it may get it to show up in dashbaord

if you are happy to wipe it then you can do a factory reset using the pin hole on the back :

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32/kw/reset/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyNjA5MjQzNy9zaWQvbS1uQ2hITms%3D

that will completely wipe it - and also power cycling it may get it to show up in dashbaord

Thank you. I will give it a try. :slight_smile:

No problem, let us know how you get on[hr]
No problem, let us know how you get on

Actually, the lights turned green, and now it is shown in the dashboard. However, this brings up another question. It says I have 3.6 TB of space. Using a 3 TB drive, and 4 1 TB drives, shouldn’t I have more? I checked in Drobo settings, and it says Dual Disk Redundancy is not enabled.

well 2tb of the 3TB drive will be reserver for expansion - since it has no where to mirror that “top” 2tb

so we may as well look as it as 5 x 1tb drives - is that is all it can currently use.

one drive’s worth of space is used for parity information - thats 4 x 1tb of usable space

and when we call it a 1Tb drive we mean 1,000,000,000 bytes

but that is counting in decimal, really 1 tb is just over 900GB if you count in binary (like windows and most computers do!)

so 4 x 900GB = 3.6TB, which is exactly what it reports

the quik way to calculate capacity is that it is the sum of your disks - minus the largest disk.

if you had a second 3tb drive then you would have somewhere to mirror the first 3tb disks so you woul not be “wasting” 2tb on your current 3tb disk

swap one 1 tb drive for one 3tb disk, and you will have 6tb (decimal) available space (probably more like 5.3tb once it reports properly)

i hope that all makes sense

if in doubt play with drobulator http://www.drobo.com/products/capacity-calculator/index.php

Aha, yea…after I posted, that’s what I started thinking too. Oh well. I will add more higher capacity drives later. Thanks again for the replies. :)[hr]
Funny. I updated the firmware, and now it’s back to not showing in the dashboard, even though the lights are all green.

@mystik:
I often find that after updating the firmware I need to power-cycle the Drobo (remove power, slowly count to 30, reapply power). Of course make sure you safely disconnect/shut down any clients before pulling the plug.