Drobo

8D Accelerator SSD Failures

Hello-

I have an odd situation. I purchased two Drobo 8Ds in October 2019 and equipped each with five Seagate 10TB HDDs, as well as a Samsung 2TB 860 EVO SSD (Drobo-recommended) for acceleration. Both Drobos are equipped identically. One is used every day as my primary data drive on a 2017 iMac running macOS Mojave. The other is only used every three months or so to serve as a mirrored backup to the primary unit. It is then disconnected and stored offsite. Therefore, while the main 8D is up and running 24x7 since October, the second 8D has only run for a total of ~4 days.

Just before running the Chronosync script to mirror 8D #1 to 8D #2 for the third time since October, the Samsung accelerator SSD was reported as failing by 8D #1. I purchased a brand new exact replacement from Amazon and all seemed to be fine. However, shorty after plugging in 8D #2 (daisy-chained to 8D #1), IT’S Samsung SSD reported a failure. Remember, though purchased at the same time as the initial one that failed, it has probably been used ~1/1,000 of the amount of time.

I put each of the two failed SSDs into an external enclosure and ran Samsung’s SSD diagnostic software. No errors were reported, though I suspect it’s probably because they were connected to the Mac via USB 3.0. I reformatted one of them and it seems to be working fine, though I haven’t attempted to use it long-term.

Before contacting Samsung, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I’m open to the idea that it was a bad lot of SSDs, but it still seems unusual to me that they would both fail at almost the exact same time, even though one was used so much less than the other.

Incidentally, the replacement SSD in 8D #1 has been humming along just fine for the past six weeks.

Thank you!
Dave

Hello-

OP here. I wanted to provide an update on this. I sent back both SSD drives to Samsung who confirmed that nothing is wrong with them. Just last night, the THIRD SSD I purchased failed in 8D#1.

So, in summary: two separate Drobo 8Ds, each with VERY different up times. Three separate Samsung 2TB SSDs used as accelerators (main data drives in both Drobos are spinning HDDs). Three failures – two in 8D#1 and one in 8D#2. Samsung confirmed that the first two SSDs are fine.

Has anyone else experienced failures of the accelerator SSD in a Drobo 8D?

Thank you!
Dave