Drobo

802.3ad on 5N2 - What's the point?

I was excited to see new support for 802.3ad aggregation, and since my router supports it, and I connect through a 2.5Gb port to my 10Gb switch, I expected to see an improvement in throughput. Nope. Still capped at 112MB/s, like it was through the old dual port protocol, and in fact, almost the same as the 5N was.

Why add real port aggregation finally, if the throughput won’t see an improvement? What a disappointment.

How is your computer accessing the drobo? 120 MB/s sounds like the limit of a gigabit ethernet link. So if your desktop has a single 1 GigE cable connected to the router then you know where the bottleneck is. Try accessing the Drobo from multiple devices at the same time to see if there’s an improvement. Hopefully you have an SSD in the acceleration bay.

From a Google search on 802.3ad link aggregation:
“it’s advisable to think of link aggregation in terms of network link resilience rather than total available throughput. For instance, when transferring a file from one PC to another over a 2Gbps aggregated link, the total maximum transfer rate can only up to 1Gbps. However, the benefits of aggregated bandwidth will show when transferring two files. That is to say, link aggregation increases the number of “lanes” instead of the limit of speed.”