Drobo

64 Bit Snow Leopard Support

We are and have been actively working on 64bit support for Mac OS 10.6. The architectural changes that were made in Snow Leopard have proven a bit more difficult then we originally anticipated. Supporting 64bit Snow Leopard is a top priority for us (in fact we have added additional staff to specifically help with this effort). We currently expect to have full support (USB, FireWire, and iSCSI) within the next 4-6 weeks.

How many boot their Macs into 64bit mode? You have to depress the “6” and “4” keys when you boot to make it 64 bit.

Snow Leopard Server boots with a 64-bit kernel by default regardless to if it’s installed on an Xserve, Mac Pro, or Mac mini.

Whoa, really? I have a Mac Pro and have (luckily) held off, but I was thinking about upgrading over the holiday…

I have a new mini with OSX server, I have a pro with (8) 2tb drives with dual disk, I am loving it. I have made it my total solution for storage for the house.

Oh, nevermind, I read that wrong.

I hope the 64bit version of Dashboard comes out soon since they’ve already introduced a “elite” that target enterprises…

I am running ver 1.61 and not having any issues, maybe i am missing something. SO yes the do come out with a 64 bit dashboard what will it do? I thought the whole idea for a 64 bit was memory and the cpu and memory to work together to use extended memory and off load the cycles from the cpus faster hence a faster machine. but honestly its not a memory hog. Granted I have a pimped out min

8 gigs memory
128 gig SSD (crucial)
12 tb of drobo pro

SO now I am not on the slow side but yes it cold always be faster, but unles your are running every service does it matter?[hr]
ohh sorry IT is OSX server 10.6.2 with the latest updates…

64-bit doesn’t make your machine faster unless…
…you’re running data-intensive processes like number-crunching, because twice as much data can processed in a single instruction.
…you’re using >3GB (or 4GB, depends on platform) of physical memory and are using virtual memory often, because 64-bit addressing can access way more physical memory, and physical memory is way faster than (disk-based) virtual memory.

In practice, the second scenario is more common than the first and is the source of most apparent speed-ups between 64-bit and 32-bit OSes after differences in pure CPU instruction speeds are taken into account (as 64-bit CPUs tend to be faster than their 32-bit-only counterparts since they’re newer).