5n2 won't power one, need replacement

Hi!

I have a Drobo 5n2 and the drobo will not power on. There are no green (or any) lights illuminated on the front. In the back, I hear and see the fan spinning, and feel the vibration from what it seems like the hard drives. However, the little power button the back has the green light barely flickering. It does that from the moment power is plugged in to it. If I try to press the power button to turn it on it doesn’t do anything.

I opened a ticket with Tech support and they’re less than helpful. They don’t troubleshoot for the part that’s bad and suggest buying a new unit. Drobo itself doesn’t have them in stock and I can’t find them online anywhere else. The migration chart says that it has to go to another 5n2, so my options are even more limited.

The only other thing I can think of is buying a used one off of ebay but I really don’t want to do that except as a last resort.

Has anybody else had this issue and been able to fix it? It’s mind boggling that this can fail and there is no way for me to get a replacement port, send it in to get fixed, or to buy another.

Is Drobo on it’s way out?

Thanks!

1 Like

I had an issue with trying to buy a new 5N2 to replace my aging FS (I reached the ceiling of its capacity). The 5N2 has been sold out since the beginning of the year (!!), so I bough a used 5N2. It took some doing, but I got them attach the remaining warranty to my account. You might not have any other choice but to buy a used one, unfortunately.

As to your problem, it does sound like it may be a power issue. You might want to check the power brick first. It’s possible that it is the component causing issues. If you have a multimeter (or you can get one), check if the power coming out of the brick is what it should be. If it’s the brick, try to buy a replacement.

If that’s not it, it might be, as you suspect, the power port on the unit itself. That might be a little trickier. I took apart my old FS at one point to replace the fan and IIRC the power port is soldered in. Not sure if this is the case on the 5N2, but probably. You could open it up to see (I mean, it’s already broken, right?).

I have the same issue, how did you solved it?

This is a very old thread & I doubt the OP is watching it to respond, however, with this issue step one is always try a substitute power brick.

Step two would be try with all drives removed (but don’t put them back with it running if it does power up).

hi,

yes I saw that it an old thread, thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. for some reason I went through all postings online which had the same problem, I found only complaints but never a solution. I musty be honest with you, I don’t even know how to repair it myself with your suggestions. Upsetting

can you repair my drobo 5N2?

I removed all drives and it’s same same issue, I see green light on the power button, I press it and nothing happens, I press it again, all of the sudden the drobo lights in yellow and I see the fan spinning, but I cannot hear the fan, it’s as if the fan is not powerful enough to produce noice, the lights die the same second, If I hold my finger on the power swith, the lights maybe burn 1 sec longer. It’s def not the power brick issue, I bought a new power brick and it does the same thing. It’s so upsetting, I just wish someone would borrow me his drobo so I can back up my stuff.

Unless it’s something extremely obvious when I got it apart, then I very much doubt it, I’m just another Drobo user, & while I have a soldering iron & ancient training in electronics, I don’t have the skills to do board level diagnostics… If you’re in guarantee / support, Drobo may be able to, or might be able to do something if you pay for Drobohelp…

The fact that with a new PSU & no drives there is some activity but it fails to start suggests an internal fault to me.

If it’s in guarantee or other paid support, contact Drobo, a loan unit to do recover your data is one of the possible outcomes, though I think the deposit is about the price of a new unit.

I can’t loan or sell you one my 5C is unsuitable, as well as being in use, & the Gen 2 wouldn’t work for the task.

Failing support being able to help the commonest answers are buy another unit, new if you can find one in stock or used if you can’t. Before you do that, make sure it’s a suitable unit to migrate your pack to by checking here:
Migration - Drobo

Apart from the above, if you’ve a machine you could plug all the drives into at once (possibly using USB adapters) then either of the recovery softwares UFS Explorer or ReclaiMe Pro can read Drobo disk packs, unfortunately neither is free (or particularly cheap), & I’m not aware of any free recovery software that can. Unfortunately it’s not a normal RAID setup where there’d be at least a few free options given the skill to use them.

Or there are data recovery companies who can handle Drobo disk packs, though a used unit off somewhere like ebay may well be cheaper given you’d have to buy enough new storage to hold the recovered data (often from that company at a mark-up), as well as pay for their time, expertise, & them using their equipment.

There might be less complaints posted if it was just a case of “Oh well, it died, I suppose I’ll have to buy a replacement”, but that’s difficult given the current supply situation for new units.

Yes, you are right, I dealt with broken equipment a lot in my life, through I was working in equipment rentals, I can tell, it’s not a power brick problem. Very upsetting, Did yesterday 5h research what my options are: I guess I need to loan or buy a new drobo 5N2 house. Or use a migration software. I am just wondering if I can use 4 bay eSATA dock station? I had only 4 eSATA drives in my drobo. If I decide to use UFX, I need to connect somehow all my 4 esata drives to my computer, Do you happen to know if I can use 4 bay eSATA to USB 3.0 dock station for that? Since I am out of warranty, no one is going to help me here. I am seriously impressed about the negligence. Just upset. I found yesterday, electronics repair guy on EAST 80th in Manhattan, went there, his shop moved, ended up going to the Bronx, it rained so hard, the water was standing till my knees, some man was following me, he cut me off, holding umbrella over me and asking for a dollar, I guess I could choose: a dollar for life. The repair guy takes only cash for his work, and a deposit in cash, sent me to a bodega to pick up money, I had 5 people standing in my back and watching me how I withdraw $40. I needed to wave the money to show it’s only $40. There is no way I can go with so much cash in my pockets to pick up the drobo and pay him. I organized already a friend with a dog to come with me. Never ever thought in my life I would end up in this situation for drobo. The train ride was also not fun. Thanks to drobo.

Yes, you are right, I dealt with broken equipment a lot in my life, through I was working in equipment rentals, I can tell, it’s not a power brick problem. Very upsetting, Did yesterday 5h research what my options are: I guess I need to loan or buy a new drobo 5N2 house. Or use a migration software. I am just wondering if I can use 4 bay eSATA dock station? I had only 4 eSATA drives in my drobo. If I decide to use UFX, I need to connect somehow all my 4 esata drives to my computer, Do you happen to know if I can use 4 bay eSATA to USB 3.0 dock station for that? Since I am out of warranty, no one is going to help me here. I am seriously impressed about the negligence. Just upset. I found yesterday, electronics repair guy on EAST 80th in Manhattan, went there, his shop moved, ended up going to the Bronx, it rained so hard, the water was standing till my knees, some man was following me, he cut me off, holding umbrella over me and asking for a dollar, I guess I could choose: a dollar for life. The repair guy takes only cash for his work, and a deposit in cash, sent me to a bodega to pick up money, I had 5 people standing in my back and watching me how I withdraw $40. I needed to wave the money to show it’s only $40. There is no way I can go with so much cash in my pockets to pick up the drobo and pay him. I organized already a friend with a dog to come with me. Never ever thought in my life I would end up in this situation for drobo. The train ride was also not fun. Thanks to drobo.