Drobo

5C Volumes-------> Shares?

I have a 5C… all bays full and it has 11 volumes! is there a way to convert the Drobo 5C to Shares? or am I stuck with how I have it set up. If this is possible I understand I would need to copy off all the data on my current 5C drobo.

Copy all data off, factory reset, set up as a single volume?
In terms of “Shares”, that’s down to creating directories & using the networking of whatever OS you have the thing attached to. The two things really aren’t related.

I understand they are not related. I have 31TB worth of drives in my 5c (20TB avail), it has created 11 Drives of 2TB each and is very annoying. I have total of 13 TB of data on the drives. I am in the process of copying off all the data to External drives and to my other drobo 4. then I will reformat the 5C.

I do have another Q and I kind of know the ans , but want to ask. You may or may not know. I appreciate your response.

1. Which is better to have Multiple Drives or 1 volume with a number of folders inside?
  2. From a Driver perspective will there be the same amt of space available with 1 volume vs Multiple drives?
  3. Booting up a computer with 11 drives slows down the boot up process, correct?
  1. That only makes a difference in particular specific circumstances, & not much of one then.

2. Space isn’t really affected, though depending on typical file sizes, there may be some impact on the amount of wasted space (cluster slack).

3. There’s a difference, though not enough of one to matter & there’s more factors in play than simply the number of drives.

Killer factor for me is that dividing the space into multiple drives tends to result in running out of space on some while others have plenty, that doesn’t happen when you use a single drive.

THANK YOU so much for your responses… it is very much appreciated.

YES, multiple drives is annoying… when you have more than 2TB of music and have to split onto another drive… I have been meaning to do this for a long time and wasn’t sure how.

I hope all the media I am moving my data to will be fine for me to move it all back…

Thanks again

well got a new power supply and that did not fix the problem. the power light still blinks simultaneously with the fan going on and off… thats it… OMG im so mad. I am not sure what happened. All I was doing was copying the data off. I did read another user had a similar problem when copying his data off. I wonder if this thing gets too hot or something and then stops working.

I am now in the hunt for another 5C that seems to be my only option, but they are hard to find. AAARG anyone have any ideas…

What happens if you try booting it with no drives installed?
Does it work if you try setting it up with spare drive(s)?
That’s just to ensure it really isn’t working & ensure it’s not some peculiar problem with the installed drives.

You could try contacting support, I don’t know how useful that will be, especially if it won’t start empty or with different spare drives.
Replacements are difficult to find at present, if you go that route, new or used, you could consider a 5C, 5D, or 5D3 the latter two can read/convert a pack from a 5C to the format they use.
Other options are pretty much use a data recovery company some can handle Drobos (expensive).

If you have a computer to which you can attach all the drives at once you might also try recovery software, UFS Explorer or ReclaiMe Pro are about the only two I know which can handle Drobo disk packs, both cost money.

What happens if you try booting it with no drives installed? same problem - blinks and fan on and off

Does it work if you try setting it up with spare drive(s)? - I will try this, but its seems like not getting that far to boot or see drives

You could try contacting support, I don’t know how useful that will be, especially if it won’t start empty or with different spare drives. - I did and have an open case, but out of support warranty, so they really wont be any help. Seems like my only option is a replacement… then sell and get Synology :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the options
I can attach them all to my pc… will look into this

Well drobo said they would repair or replace for $199 and may take up to 21 days. That’s probably the least expensive. After getting data off will sell it!

Thanks for posts